Stoneleigh Ambassadors participate in five, half-day training sessions (held annually in late winter/early spring) in which they learn everything from the history of Stoneleigh and Natural Lands, to native plants and ecological horticulture, to guest relations practices.
Upon graduation from the program, Ambassadors volunteer their time welcoming visitors to the garden, leading tours, and supporting special events. They commit to serving at least two, four-hour shifts each month at Stoneleigh. (Shifts are available April through November, Tuesday through Sunday, 9:30 am – 5:00 pm.)
The Stoneleigh Ambassador program is part of Natural Lands’ Force of Nature® volunteer program, which connects people to the outdoors through dedicated service to Natural Lands.
The 2021 training sessions will be held largely virtually; there will be several in person, outdoor activities held at Stoneleigh. During hands-on sessions, staff and volunteers will interact in small groups, following safety protocols that include mask-wearing and social-distancing.
Training runs February 17 through March 17, 2021:
- Wednesday, February 17, 2021, 9:00-11:00 am (virtual)
- Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 9:00-11:00 am (virtual) (optional garden tour I: Friday, February 26, 10:30-11:30 am, in-person)
- Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 9:00-11:30 am (virtual)
- Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 9:00-11:00 am (in-person)
- Wednesday, March 17, 2021, 9:00-11:00 am (in-person) (optional garden tour II, following Graduation, 11:00 am – 12:00 pm)
Participants must attend at least four of the five sessions—including the first one—to graduate from the program.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in all our work, and we strongly encourage BIPOC candidates and LGBTQ+ candidates to apply.
We are now accepting competitive applications for the 2021 program. Applications are due by January 15, 2021. All materials received by this date will be assured full consideration. Selected candidates will be contacted by January 20, 2021, to schedule an interview.